Those middle school years are a crucial time when children go through many significant developmental changes and form behaviors that affect their future. The conventional wisdom is that by the time children are in middle school ,they are ready to take care of themselves. Many parents think adult supervision is not as critical as it was when the children were younger. However, with their still-developing minds, children this age may not always make the best choices or make the best use of their free time.
School break camps can help a child in this 10-14 year age bracket bridge the need for autonomy and the need for a safe, adult-supervised environment...if done properly. There are things that need to be addressed for children this age:
- The need to stay active - young teens need the time to stretch, move and exercise their rapidly growing bodies. They also need time to relax and have downtime, but that doesn't mean hours playing video games.
- Learning who they are – What does it mean to become an adult? They need opportunities to explore their world so they can become contributing members of society.
- Creative Expression – Being able to express oneself in an open and safe environment helps young adolescents understand and accept themselves. Hands-on activities as well as sports, art, drama, are just some of the ways they can creatively express themselves.
- Positive Social Interactions – While parents and family are still the primary source of value and affection, peers are becoming are more prominent role in offering support, companionship, and criticism.
- Meaningful participation – Successful programs are planned WITH, not for, young teens. They want to know they are heard and valued. They want the ability to choose for themselves. By learning that their actions affect those around them, they gain a sense of responsibility and purpose.
- Starting the career path - STEM field careers have a high need! There are not enough people going to college to learn the fields of engineering or science. Science camp can help introduce reluctant students that these fields are not only lucrative and in high need, but FUN! "Do what you love; love what you do."
At C THE World Academy, we are helping to build confident, creative, independent people. This is an important time in the life of your child. We respect and honor that you include us in their journey.